Thursday, November 8, 2012

Winter Park Adventure(WPA) Part 1: The Lowdown

The new adventure has begun! This will be my 6th day here in Winter Park, CO, and it has most certainly proved to be an adventure! When I was waiting for the shuttle at Denver Airport to take me to Winter Park, there was a girl there also waiting. So I said "hi" and found out that she also is going to Winter Park to work for the winter. So we kept talking, and it turns out shes staying at the same place that I'm staying. When we got to the Lodge (where we were staying) we found out we were in the same room! Over the next couple days we found out that we are working in the same place in the park. Her name is Eve and she is amazing. Truly I believe that she is the best room mate that I could have gotten. She doesn't drink too much, she hates smoking, shes got a level head, and she's a lot of fun to be around.

I'm staying in the employee housing wing of the Winter Park Mountain Lodge, which is a hotel. The rooms are decent, even though we don't have a kitchen, only a microwave, and mini fridge. We have a good sized bathroom, with a shower, and, since yesterday, hot water. I assure you, a cold shower at 3,000ft above sea level in the Rocky Mountains, is a high price to pay to be clean. Many people on my floor didn't take a shower for 4 or 5 days. >_< Our rent will be a lil' less this month.

Also being at a 3,000ft elevation the air is extremely thin and dry. It can be hard to get to sleep at night because the air is so dry it hurts to breath. Many mornings I've woken up with blood in my nose.Walking 20yrds on flat ground leaves you huffing and puffing, and worked up to a sweat. They say that 7out of 10 people get elevation sickness, which looks like diarrhea, stomach aches, and throwing up. Thankfully no one on my floor has go it.

I had my first general orientation on Tuesday, and my 2end orientation for Moffat Market tomorrow, and that's when I learn all the details of my schedule and my specific job. The Moffat Market is a food court, so I'll either be a cashier or doing food-prep. Eve and I went to check it out, and it looks like its going to be a really fun place to work.

I also got applied for a second job working the evening shift as a server at the restaurant inside the lodge I'm staying at. I've been told to go see the manager this weekend and she'll tell me my hours...people tell me that means..I'm HIRED! lol So that will be really fun. I'll be starting the beginning of next week.

One of the main questions I've been getting: Is there a lot of snow? There are only patches of snow right now, and its been t-shirt weather the past couple of days. This is not a good thing seeing as the park is suppose to open on Wednesday. However, there is hope. We are expecting a blizzard this weekend, and Jesus is Lord. :)
Everyone here is extremely friendly. Many people know me as being very friendly, but the people here have caught me off guard by how friendly they are, and in truth at first it made me feel uncomfortable. lol But I have let this place take me outside of my box and teach me how to be just as friendly. Winter Park Resort is known for being Colorado's Favorite, and Friendliest. A couple years ago they were in competition with other ski resorts in CO to see who could be the friendliest according to the guests, and 4 out of 4 times this resort won. :)

While there is no snow, literally the only things for people to do is hike, skateboard,and drink. Winter Park is a tiny town with a liquor store or a pub literally on every corner. Like Sonics in Oklahoma or Starbucks in California or a Ponderosa in Montana. So it seems like everyone here are alcoholics or at least love to party. I stick out like a star in the heavens. :) To the glory of God.

With our work still not begun most people have been quite bored. Eve, struggling between her shyness and her boredom, put this sign on our door:
click to enlarge
 
Lol. She cracks me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment